Sunday, January 29, 2012

Running for Charity

January 29, 2012.

It shouldn't shock me that my husband has entered to run another 5km race this Spring/Summer because that is the type of person he is. He does not like running, but he loves competing and keeping statistics on his accomplishments. Another race allows him to set another goal and break another personal record.

Chris has been trying to convince me to run with him in one of these many races, but I feel that Tough Mudder is not even up for consideration, Warrior Dash is still too extreme, and Mudnewton is still a lofty goal. But, tonight he has signed up for a 5km charity run on an early Sunday morning and guess what??? There is a 1km run/walk even earlier in the day for families and the less mobile (seniors with walkers are specifically mentioned).

I think this is the perfect introduction to running for me. I have no problems running amongst the strollers, walkers, little ones, and elderly ones to attempt my first race. Alright, I have a little aprehension stemming from some embarassment that this is the most ideal "race" for me. But, it could be a goal nonetheless.

Last time I tried to run 1km outside I made it less than a quarter of the way, walked another 1/4 and then shortcutted my way home giving up on the last half of the run. It was pathetic and shocking as I had run 1km on the treadmill alternating 1 min @ 5 miles/hr and 1 min @ 3.5 miles/hr.

This week's new goal:
1) walk the 1km route around my house and time myself at a walking pace
2) run/walk 1km on the treadmill and time myself
3) set a running goal for 1km outside

Upcoming goal:
1) run/walk 1km outside each week and on the treadmill each week and keep track of my times by posting them here

When you first started running how long did it take you to run your first km or mile?

1 comment:

  1. This is exciting Amber! Don't be hard on yourself. It does take time. When I first started running at the ripe old age of about 35 my sister advised me to run the long sides of a track and walk the short sides. I was terrible in the beginning. My breathing was all off and I felt so awkward. I'm not sure exactly how long it took before I could run an entire mile, but it was within a couple of months. It was an incredible feeling. I didn't stress about time. The more I ran the more comfortable I felt about my pace and the more I challenged myself.

    Good luck! I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete