Saturday, October 22, 2011

I'm Sick...Now What?

October 22, 2011.

Today was supposed to be my weekly weigh-in. I did jump on Wii-Fit and take my measurement, gasp that I went up .8kgs since my last measurement 3 days ago, and promptly climb back into bed. I know up up since last Saturday, but I don't think I'm up the full .8kgs because I had dropped weight throughout the week. I plan to re-weigh and post tomorrow.

For now, I want to discuss being sick and the need to go to the gym. I have not been to the gym in almost 2 weeks now. I am very sad about this, but obviously not sad enough to get my butt there. I had planned to go tomorrow and start up my routine again (I really want to do my new 3 day gym program), but I am officially sick with a sinus cold of some sort and a splitting headache. I've dragged myself into work for a 12 hour shift as I will do again tomorrow because it really isn't an option, but the gym just doesn't seem like an option.

I was reading an old post by Carrie at http://shrinkingcarrie.com/about/ about this very same thing. What do you do when you're sick and the gym is on your schedule. Chris would just suck it up and go, tell me he felt better after having gone, and then possibly taken a day off work to recover (or at least had the weekend to do so). I, on the other hand, work 6 out of 7 days a week and use my 7th day to do all the running around that needs to be done. I slept 12 hours last night in hopes of recovery and yet I still feel like crap.

What to do? I want to go to the gym, but the thought of all that hard work turns my stomach (although it may be the diet of tea and toast I've been living off of from not feeling well). I also don't want to overwork myself and then have to book a supply teacher to fill in for me the week before I write report cards. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I try to wait it out if I'm sick, if not for myself, but for the gym goers as well. You can turn a sickness into something even nastier if you try to workout. I t also depends on how sick I am. if its just a little stuffy sinus's then I go, if it is full on throw up or the runs (TMI), I stay home. Wait until you are feeling 100%, or else the sickness could stick around longer. I hope you get feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skip the gym! Speaking from experience, you will just be sick longer. If you really feel crappy then working out is not going to help you get better, if you were on the verge of getting sick it could help, but if you are full out sick, don't bother, it will just make you feel worse. Plan to get back into a good routine when you feel better. That is my advice! This from a person that HATES to miss the gym!! You are a teacher and you need your strength and energy.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're not eating well yet and have no energy, just stay home and read a fitness book during your normal workout time. But when you get up to 75% of your normal energy, then go to the gym--but expect that you won't be at your best.

    ;-) Marion

    ReplyDelete