Monday, August 8, 2011

"From that day on ... I was running!" Not!

August 8, 2011.

Chris has inspired me to run. He is running 10k now to gear up for Mudnewton (a 10k race through the woods with obstacles along the way). I think he has lost his mind, but he tells me when the race is over he is done running until next summer (for the 5k Warrior Dash). The Warrior Dash itself does not interest me, but going with my husband as a participant rather than a supporter does intrigue me, therefore I have decided to start running.

The quote in my title is from Forest Gump, but I did it to mimic Chris' post about running. I planned a route today in my neighbourhood that was entirely flat and didn't run along the main roads for long. It was just over 1km because I sprint/walk just over 1km on the treadmill at the gym. I also wanted something close to home in case I wussed out and needed to head home sooner.

I woke up early, got dressed, set my stopwatch and set out on my run. My first goal was to run from my house to the main road (2 blocks). I ran for about 1min and almost made it to the road before I had to walk it out. Weird because I run 2 minute sprints at the gym. I figure I run faster on land and that it is harder on my body. Huffing and puffing I walked the few houses to the end of the road and then down the bike trail along the main road for 1 block. This is where I planned to gear up again and run 1 block before turning left and running until I tired. I tired before the end of the block, but forced myself to make it.

At this point I had a choice walk to my left to the main road which meant a long run/walk back home and I was already tired or walk to my right a block and then run 1 more block home. I chose the latter and made it home as planned. I made it .68 km in 5 min 20 sec. My shins hurt, sweat started pouring from my brow the second I walked in the door, but my breaths settled quickly. I do not plan on running outside again for a long time. Running sucks! I wish I was at the gym.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of running either, I have to admit I like it more than I did at the beginning. I am surprised that I can run and not pass out when I am done. No matter how far/long I run it's always worse when you stop. I do find the opposite of you though,I find it harder to run on the treadmill than outside. more than I did at the beginning. I am surprised that I can run and not pass out when I am done. No matter how far/long I run it's always worse when you stop. I do find the opposite of you though,I find it harder to run on the treadmill than outside.

    ReplyDelete